Friday, June 5, 2015

Pale Adopts Us


We live on top of a quiet hill in Los Angeles, and there is a healthy community of stray, feral and neighborhood cats. My neighbors and I look after them, feed them and whenever possible get them to the vet for shots & spay and neutering. It's been a while since there have been new kittens, so for now the group is fairly stable. The cats come and go, but one decided to stay for good!

Pale had been visiting our yard periodically, but it was't until the first day of summer in 2013, that he became a buddy. I was outdoors working on an art event in my yard, and Pale stayed by my side all day. He was sweet and friendly and wanted to be my sidekick. Growing up, we always had red cats and Pale reminded me of my Dad's best companion, a giant tomcat named Jaggers. After that day Pale came more and more regularly until he took up residence on our front steps. He slept curled in a ball on our door mat or sat pressed against the front door. He was always waiting for us and would purr and throw himself onto the ground for love and affection. After we lost our dog Osa in the fall of 2014, we decided to take Pale up on his adoption offer and make him a permanent part of our pack.



No comments:

Post a Comment